Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lo-o-o-ong Tables


Lo-o-o-ng Tables

Several years ago, I worked briefly for a training company that housed a group of writers and editors in sweatshop-like conditions. Computers were lined up on folding tables in a large open room, available on a first-come, first-served basis. At one end of the room, stood a magnificent 12-foot mahogany conference table, and many of us chose to work there.

Since then, I have craved nothing so much as a long table, although probably not a full 12 feet. My fantasy table would not be for hosting large dinner parties. I hate large dinner parties. I want a long table for work and crafts, a place to spread out all the stuff I use as references plus collage materials and art supplies. It would also have room for eating meals or even entertain a friend or two without having to put everything else away.

I mentioned my longing for a long table to my friend Sheila, who worked for the same company. “Oh,” she said, “I LOVE that table.” She wants one, too. A preacher, writer, and seamstress, she envisions covering the top with a variety of projects. Maybe crafters have a universal desire for unlimited workspace.

Here’s what I realized as I was moving little post-it note furniture cutouts around the Auntie Flat floor plan: I have room for a long table, maybe 8-10 feet long. Be still my heart.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment